Deepdale Golf Club, Long Island, New York

  • entance to elite golf club of NYC
  • Main building of exclusive Deepdale golf club
  • Golf club for New York City elites
  • Most exclusive golf club of New York city
  • Deepdale golf club
  • Back terrace with dining settings of Deepdale golf club
  • Most exclusive golf club of New York city
  • Most exclusive golf club of New York city
  • Most exclusive golf club of New York city

This is one of the most prestigious 18-hole private golf courses in the nation. Its original course design was created by Charles Blair Macdonald, Seth Raynor and Charles Banks on part of the rolling estate owned by William K. Vanderbilt in 1924. In the 50s, when the Long Island Expressway was routed through the northern part of the course, the nearby W.R. Grace estate was purchased and Dick Wilson was retained to redesign the course. The result was a combination of interesting doglegs, tight fairways, sculptured bunkers and lovely subtle greens on relatively flat terrain. Grace mansion became the new clubhouse. Today’s course measures 6,623 yards from its longest tees. It has a par value of 70, a rating of 72.6 and a slope of 135. Deepdale Golf Club has been one of the favorite golfing spots for men such as Bob Hope, Tom Brokaw and Sean Connery. While it is a private club, guests are welcome to play when accompanied by a member. Caddies are available and walking is allowed. In addition to the driving range and practice areas, the club offers food and beverage services, including a restaurant and full bar.

History of Deepdale Golf Club

It was the height of the Roaring Twenties and the game of golf was being celebrated across the country.

Accordingly, in 1924, William K. Vanderbilt II, one of Long Island’s most avid sportsmen, decided to convert some of the rolling acreage on his Deepdale summer estate at Lake Success, into a private golf course.  It was a historic moment that would create what is still considered to be one of the most prestigious private clubs in the nation.

Vanderbilt engaged Charles Blair Macdonald, architect of the National Golf Links of America and his protégés, Seth Raynor and Charles Banks, to help design and create a premier golf course.  Vanderbilt’s friends soon approached him with the idea of organizing a golf club with a small, select membership, a place for weekday play when there was no time for the train ride out to Southampton and The National.

On October 26, 1924, the Deepdale Golf Club was incorporated.

After decades of play, in 1954, the Long Island Expressway was routed through the northern part of the course as the region began to pioneer the concept of suburbia.  Dick Wilson was hired to reengineer a new course on the old site, but when this didn’t prove feasible, the club purchased the W.R. Grace estate, located just a short distance from the original Deepdale and had Wilson design a new course with numerous doglegs, tight fairways, subtle greens and sculptured bunkering.
Deepdale Golf Club’s relocated course, with the stunning Grace mansion serving as the clubhouse, was officially opened in 1955, and its role as one of the preeminent private clubs in America continues to this day, welcoming a diverse membership of men and women united by their common love of the game of golf.